Thursday, June 23, 2011

Summer Vacation

Summer has really flown by for me. I think as a teacher, the words "summer vacation" qualify as a oxymoron because I realize now that teachers don't get a full summer vacation! I didn't realize that my classroom would be a disaster area after the custodians cleaned it. Not to say that I am not thankful that it wasn't cleaned--I am soooo thankful!! But now I just get to reorganize it :)

If you remember my blogs at the beginning of the year, you'll remember that I took over for a teacher who retired at the end of Decemeber. Since I came in at the halfway point of the school year, I pretty much left everything as it was--only adding a few of my own things to make the classroom "mine". Now that I have been officially rehired (YAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!), I get to make the entire classroom and storage area mine!!!

I've already spent a day cleaning out my classroom storage space because it had materials that had been collected for 20 years, and let's face it, I'm really not going to use something that was printed when I was 3. I really enjoy making things fun for my students--maybe my idea of fun is different from theirs haha! Monday, I spent a few hours organizing the filing cabinet and cleaning out things I won't ever use (can you tell I'm in to organizing??). Next on my list is to paint a few canvases to hang in my classroom because I think artwork will make it feel more homey. I've also got to work on lesson plans for the novels we will be covering and create a syllabus (i.e. decide how to run my classroom my way). I will definitely be spending a lot of next week in my classroom!!

On a side note: I ate at Chik fil A with my mom for lunch today and as I was waiting for a drink refill, she started talking to some lady. When I got back to the table, it turned out that she was a parent of two of my upcoming advanced students! So it was exciting to meet these girls and their mom (who offered to help with whatever I needed!!!). I asked the girls if they had read my summer reading assignment which was The Hunger Games Book 1. They said yes and had already finished book 2 and was starting on book 3!!! As an English teacher, that made me very happy!!!! I love it when my students want to read!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yaaaaay for your job! So glad your students are reafing! Thats super awesome. Youre going to have a great year!

Wes Tate said...

Gross! You make your kids read during the summer? I don't think you would have liked me as a student. I don't know if you remember me always asking you what the story was about during our English class we took together, haha!

Unknown said...

Teaching is almost year round with all of the planning and preparing yo have to do! At least you can accomplish all of this without the kids in the classroom and you can have some peace while getting it ready! :) xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...