Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Wake Up Call

Have you ever thought everything in your life was going according to plan and then God steps in to remind you that it was your plan and not His? That happened to me not too long ago, and I definitely needed the reminding.

Thinking back to college, I had my entire life planned out. Get engaged the end of my junior year, get married the summer after I graduate, start my new teaching job that August, and buy a new car. Now looking back, I'm so thankful that my life doesn't revolve around MY plan but GOD'S. Where would I be if I had married my college boyfriend? Probably unhappy. Breaking up with him was one of the hardest things I had to do then, but I know I made the right decision. I prayed about it for the longest time and knew that's what God wanted me to do. Coming from parents who went through a messy divorce, I look at relationships differently than my friends do. No, I'm not one of those products-of-divorce who do not believe in marriage--it was created by God so why wouldn't I?

And then there's the job. Did I start a brand new job in August after I graduated? Umm I didn't even graduate until August and that's only because I had to work SUPER hard to get in all of my classes in that amount of time. Oh and have you ever heard of a teacher graduating in August? Nope. I had to get special permission to complete my student teaching and then still take a class in the summer. That's why there were only 5 of us from the College of Education graduating in the August ceremony.....pretty entertaining. But what did this do to me? It caused me to put all of my faith in God and His plan for my life because by now I had no idea where my life was going and if I was even going to have a job with the economy the way it was. I recently read a book by Francis Chan where he posed the question, "When's the last time you lived your life by faith?" I can say I did it then, but how am I doing it now?

Here's the question I have for you: Are you living your life according to your plan or God's?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...