Monday, February 7, 2011

WHY I HATE TAXES/ GROWING UP

I grew up a little bit today. For the first time in my life, this 23 year old went and had her taxes done. My parents have theirs done by their accountant and since I don't have an accountant and would probably have to wait a while to get into one, I decided to get it done myself. My mom suggested H & R Block because it couldn't cost more than 40 bucks right??? WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!

First, I had to wait forever while this woman tried to figure out my taxes...it's not that hard, lady. I had a summer job, my job now, and my tithing balance--no receipts, nothing extra to figure in. After an hour and having lots of people come help us, my total balance showed up on the screen. $170!!!!!!!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME RIGHT NOW?!?!?!?!!?!?!? After they picked me up off the floor, I paid that money and ran out of there. Thank goodness I had the money in my account, however, this only means that I won't be doing anything fun until my next paycheck or until my return comes in.

What lesson did this teach me?? Either learn how to do your taxes yourself or marry an accountant.

Also funny story from this adventure: The tax lady sent me out to my car to get my tag info so I could claim my tax (I mean, sure, I didn't pay for the tag but I'll take the money. Sorry, mom....this money's mine) Did I mention that it's also like a wind tunnel outside???? Picture this: I'm on the phone to my mom telling her how stressful this is because this lady is asking me so many questions, "Do you have any money in a Swiss Bank account?" What?! When all of a sudden, the wind tears my tag info from my hand. Picture me screaming, running around the parking lot in my (faux) fur coat chasing after this slip of paper that my mom tells me is so important, trying to catch it on the grill of a truck, then on the top of a tire, then I finally caught it on the ground before it flew out into the busy highway. Believe me, if it would have done that, I would have run out into that highway to get that super important paper--thank goodness I didn't have to!

3 comments:

Wes Tate said...

BAHAHA!! That is sooi funny, Sarah! I'm sure that I will be sharing that story one day soon!

Leah said...

You poor dear thing. I must say I got a little chuckle out of your paper-chasing adventure...but only because you did actually catch it eventually.

Listen, Turbo Tax is free and not very hard at all. :( Sorry you paid that mo-ron.

Unknown said...

Yikes!! Now I'm having an anxiety attack. I have got to find a cheaper way to get our taxes done!! Oh my word, that is crazy!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...