The first thing I noticed about Wes was his frequent wearing of converse (hightops, I believe) and shorts--sorry Wes that I never mentioned this until now :) Oh, and his really hairy legs. I also noticed how nice he was to me and how easy it was to talk to him in class and out of class whenever I saw him on campus. Wes would also fill me in on what I had missed in class because I happened to miss.......a lot. I remember he invited me to worship at the Baptist Campus Ministries building (BCM) but I didn't want to go by myself--I mean, give me a break.....I was 18 haha.
After that class, I would see Wes a few times around campus and he would ask me about Swahili which I happened to mention that I wanted to take because I wanted to serve in the Peace Corps in a Swahili speaking country in Africa. I also thought it was super nice that he remembered everything I had talked about!
Then sophomore year starts and my best friend Janie moved to college. She and I went to the open house at the BCM and ran into Wes!! We became fast friends--I became a fan of the crew team and Wes became a fan of books. We started a 2 person book club where the only requirement was that the book had to have been made into a movie. This club was a super success and I'm pretty sure Wes is going to do what I say and read Water for Elephants asap so that we can continue the club bi-costal.
As of the beginning of December, Wes moved to Los Angeles to live. He flew back to Alabama a week ago and of course I had to go visit! It was so nice to catch up with such a great friend whom I admire spiritually. He'll be driving back to LA Wednesday because he's got his own apartment and he'll be moving some of his stuff back out there. I cannot wait to go visit!!
A friend loves at all times...Proverbs 17:17a
This is my sophomore year/Wes's junior. We just bought artwork on the streetcorner in New Orleans while on a trip to rebuild after Katrina. (Wes is in the checkered jacket.)
I don't know what we're doing here.
BCM Back to School retreat--Wes was on crew and I definitely wanted him in my boat. Notice who's actually paddling/rowing. That's right.
We ran in to each other at the UA/Va Tech game in Atlanta--my senior year/Wes's 5th.
Target also has a back to school party for college students. This is the "club" section. Notice the creeper face.
Exhibit B of the creeper face. This would be our Pilgrim/Indian Thanksgiving party with a group of friends. Wes showed up as a legit Indian from India.This is from this morning at church. Wes really is a great friend and I cherish our friendship!!
If you want to keep up with Wes's adventures in LA, check out his awesome blog Sweet Tea and Salvation and leave him a little note. (We both like sweet tea, don't we?? Ahh the South!)



3 comments:
Thanks for the shout out!! SO thoughtful and sweet! Our friendship has been a blast! Please come visit! Maybe you one day you can be my date to an award show!
Such a sweet post! I love friendships like that!
-Many Smiles!
What a great friendship! Love the pics! Have a great Monday! xoxo
Post a Comment